Thursday, March 1, 2012

rash.


yesterday she woke up with just a few spots, on her arms and legs.  


do they itch? i asked.  no momma, it's just a yittle rash, she replied.  {she has such a big vocabulary and yet still cannot pronounce her "L's" correctly if they're at the beginning of a word. and the truth is, i kind of hope she always talks this way.} 


and carried on her sunshine-y way.  but i knew better, i'd seen something similar before.  several years ago, on our nephew.  an allergy to amoxicillin.  just to be safe, i didn't give her the morning dose, prescribed from an ear infection last week.  and i called the doctor.  


i got her ready for her morning fitness class, and as i was pulling her out of the van to go into the class, i noticed the rash had spread.  a LOT.  she skipped her class, and we went straight for the doctor.  


it will get worse before it gets better, the doctor informed me, confirming that it is, in fact, an allergy to amoxicillin.  


worse? the doctor wasn't kidding.



this is what she looks like today.















there are certain areas where they're hurting her, around her elbows and knees.  but other than that, the rash's bark is worse than its bite.  


still, poor little girl.


{side note:  this is about the 5th or 6th time she's had amoxicillin in her life, and she's never had this reaction before.  i was under the impression that she wasn't allergic to it because she'd had it before.  guess i was wrong.}

6 comments:

MeggyT said...

Holy crap Lynsey!! That poor little girl.

Rachel Chick said...

Oh my goodness! Poor baby! That is terrible!

Emily Holden said...

The poor thing! My husband had the same thing happen to him a few years ago. He'd taken amoxicillin all the time growing up, then all of the sudden a major rash! Crazy!!!

Valerie said...

Poor lil sweetie!!

My daughter had the same thing happen, but it was the first time she'd had it. It attacked her poor little face sooo bad!

It was short-lived. Hope it is for you guys, too.

Wanna-be-Cowgirl (aka Emily) said...

I took amoxicillin for several years for ear infection before I built up a reaction to it. So sorry! I know how uncomfortable it can be...

kitty said...

Oh my goodness. Poor thing.
Looks familiar though..... My little one had quite a reaction also.

Funniest thing - when I took her to church everyone asked if she had the measles. I was like "Are you kidding me? Would I bring a measle child to church?" Come on!

hope it clears up soon. We tried one of those oatmeal baths to cut down on the itching. *shrug