Thursday, November 13, 2008

the how to's on the black & white picture

so before we get into how the picture was done i would like to say a couple of things:
  • this is a completely original idea put together by the partnership called bensey. and i am proud of that fact.
  • there are several ways that you could make this even easier than i did and i will post those ideas in italics so that if you want to do it yourself but want to make it quicker, you can.
  • this idea has a copyright and has patent pending. so try and steal it and you will be slapped with a lawsuit faster than you can say "i stole her idea." just kidding.
let's begin.

step 1) it all started with me wanting some inexpensive artwork in my home that wasn't a picture of me, ben or caleb. so i saw this fabric at the fabric store and an idea was formed. but as you can tell with my black & white bedspread as a background, the navy blue & white clashed.


(by far, the easiest way to do this is to find fabric that you like and hot glue/staple it to a blank canvas & hang it up. i considered doing it, but i really wanted mine to look like painted artwork...and again, the fabric didn't match so i had to come up with another idea.)



step 2) so instead, i put the material on our scanner & copied a small section and blew it up into black and white.

step 3) the blank canvas, bought it with a 40% off coupon at michael's crafts.





step 4) made 4 copies of the small sections of fabric so that they matched each other and lined up perfectly to cover the canvas. in this picture, these are just random parts and don't match up. i'm just showing an example so you can get an idea.

(an easier way to do this part...because it was tricky to make sure you copied the parts of material exactly so that it matched up perfectly...is to just make them not match. it sounds weird, but i thought it might be cool to just have 4 squares that don't match up and then line them all with painting a black border around each of them, so that those who see it know that you purposely didn't want it to match up. hope this is making sense??)


step 5) mod podge the paper onto the canvas. make sure if you do the paper idea to use the "paper mod podge" instead of just the regular kind so that the paper doesn't rip. also make sure to smooth it down well so there are no bubbles.




step 6) using acrylic paint & a teeny-tiny paintbrush, i painted over the pattern. this took a while...probably about 5 hours total...but i would just do it for an hour or so each night while watching t.v.

(this is a step you could entirely skip. you could just mod podge the paper on, paint a black border around the edges, then mod podge over the paper. i tried this because i knew that painting it would take a while & i am not the most patient person. but it looked really "flat" to me and i really loved the way that the paint made the print pop out & again...look like it was hand-painted art. which i guess it technically was.)


step 7) i painted a 1 inch border around the edges so that it would stand out against my white walls.


step 8) after the layer of paint is dry, do a thick layer of mod podge over the top, wait for it to dry and you're done! voile.

***sorry i gave the impression that this was all hand-painted by myself. (i'm sure it was subconsciously on purpose, i wanted the public to think i am absolutely amazing when i am really sub-par. :) i've never been an artist and seriously could never have done this pattern freehand. but even though all i did was paint over the pattern, i felt like a true artist. i even went mad for a minute & threatened to cut off one of my ears. sarcasm.

***any questions? is this confusing? leave me a comment & let me know if i need to make it more simple or if you need any more info. and if you do make one, post it & let me know because i would love to see it!

11 comments:

Rachel H. said...

Makes perfect sense...now if only I were perfectly patient! It looks amazing!

K Harker said...

Wow, even though you didn't free hand it, it looks amazing and no one would know (If you didn't tell them). All the work put in to that makes it way more difficult than just painting it. I wish I had the time and patience to do some thing cool and creative like that.
Thanks for the "How to" it's nice to know in case some one takes my kids away and I have some spare time :)

Rachel Chick said...

nice job, Lyns! it looks fabulous! i've seriously been considering the find a fabric I like and frame it for my wall idea myself. but what a fun way to make it look painted and original! i LOVE it! have to try something like this out when i'm finished with my other projects . . . :)

garrettandbritt said...

Looks so fun! I might just have to try this. Thanks for the info! P.S. How are you feeling?

Angela said...

Wow! What a cool idea! We have a black and tan bedroom so something like that would look really good in ours too. If only I were patient and ambitious enough to do it!

Mick and Tiff said...

Great instuctions, Lynsey. This is definitely on my to do list for next week. I LOVE IT!

The Pyne's said...

Ok, so yes I haven't been bloggin lately. I have found that it's been taking tooooooo much time away from me and my kiddos. So I thought I'd just check out your blog real quick and see how much I've missed. Which apparently is a lot!!! Lynsey, have I ever told you how great, beautiful, funny, cute little pregnant lady, wonderful mother, crafty, and just plain wonderful you are?!?!? I seriously miss you guys and looking at your cute pictures of you and caleb I just say, what a cute family! i sure do miss them!

So um when are you do again, because seriously you are still so TINY!! I totally thought you'd get to be atleast somewhat as large as I was with my boys. and holy cow, what a great surprise, blessing and cool gift from your sweet friend with all those clothes. We've never been that LUCKY!! and Love the artsy crafty stuff, wish I could that kind of stuff. well, I gotta run and get the kids lunch.

Francis and Fawn Becker said...

I am glad Caleb was able to come to tumbling....Kali was so happy to have him there. By the way....we will not be at church tomorrow, the Becker's are one SICK bunch :(

Mick and Tiff said...

okay, I never knew the story of your wisdom teeth and all I have to say is OWWWW!! I am so glad I learned this story AFTER I had my surgery because I did not want to be thinking of broken jaws when I went under the knife.... I think you take the award for worst experience EVER! so sorry.

Randrea said...

I really am going to try this! Thanks for the idea!

Lauren Horsley said...

Thanks for posting this Lyns! I'm really looking forward to having you here for Christmas - my house needs some creativity so bring your paint brush!